Sunday, January 20, 2008

You may know this already, but I sure didn't until just recently

So. I was reading a historical novel that takes place sometime in first century A.D. when I stumbled across a hypocrite. Now, this is the second time I have read this book so I don't know why I never gave much thought to it until now. The character in this book was, by title, a hypocrite. When I read that I thought, What? He thinks he is better than everyone? He doesn't practice what he preaches?

But it turns out that in the so called Bible days, in Rome and other surrounding areas, hypocrites were actors. You know, people who go around acting, entertaining people. Wow. I never knew that. I feel so much more enlightened right now. Really.

So being that I am taking two history classes at this moment, I try to look at things in context. Which is pretty fun. For instance, while reading the Bible this morning, I unintentionally came across this verse: "Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men." Then again: "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites (i.e. pretenders)."

So, it seems that in Jesus' day, the word "hypocrite" had an entirely different meaning than what we apply to it today. Well maybe not entirely. But we do see it in a different context. Back then when Jesus said "hypocrite," the multitudes immediately conjured up an image of an actor, strutting his stuff, doing what actors do. They probably laughed. Ha! Hypocrites...He sure got that right. Well, you know, I'm just saying. They could have laughed. It's entirely possible.

I did a Google search on hypocrites hoping to find some history on the ancient actors. Not much luck. All that would come up was, What a bunch of hypocrites...Libts are such hypocrites!...hypocrites and haters... I typed in "hypocrites in Roman history," "hypocrites actors." Not much luck. I did get a theater company by the name of Hypocrites. And a movie called Hypocrites. Not what what I'm looking for people! Oh well.

No comments: