Monday, January 28, 2008

Plugged into Peace

I am (or used to be) someone who had to have the radio on while driving. Lately I've been trying to change that. [Note: if this post sounds fragmented and unorganized it is due to my little brother yelling into a microphone and my parents arguing loudly in the next room]. The past week instead of reaching for the radio dial to fill the silence, I have instead resisted that urge and forced myself to tune my thoughts into God. Instead of letting useless radio dribble occupy my mind, I talk to God. It is hard at first. My mind does not want to stay still. I can hardly focus on one thing. My fingers itch to jab the radio buttons and restlessly change through stations until I find a good song. An adequate song? A decent song? Often, I find nothing, and that is when I turn off the radio. That is when I notice the quietness that fills the car and realize that this is an awesome time to talk to God.

The first time I did this, I was on my way to school. It takes only about fifteen minutes to get there, but the whole way I talked to God, thanking him and giving him certain concerns I had at the moment. When I reached school I felt peaceful, and the whole rest of the day I had a spirit of happiness, which is something that I struggle with.

I did the same thing this morning. I had trouble getting my mind into prayer mode, but once I did I didn't want to stop. I prayed for peace for there were things in my mind that I could not settle. This verse came to me of Jesus saying: "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

No comments: